Monday, November 30, 2015

Individual Artifact

http://mandalynnwilson.wix.com/luva

mobile version:





I was really inspired by the concept of "quiet structure" when working on this project.  I wanted to make the content (such as the videos done by my team mates and the images of the product) speak for itself.  I removed any boxes or lines from around the images.  I also left out any lines dividing the different sections from one another and let the clean lines of the grid do the dividing for me.  The strong and clean grid is most apparent on the front page, where the majority of the content lies.  I wanted to be sure that I could engage viewers without overwhelming them.

From the front page alone the customer has many options, each put in place to help accomplish the company's business objectives.  First, there is the commercial.  Attached to the commercial I placed the first of many opportunities that customers will have to purchase the item.  Below the commercial there are three photos of the current product, each image a link to add the item to their shopping cart. I used the bodies of the models in the photograph as frames, and to create more contrast in the figure-ground relationship between the photos and the actual website background.  I also used the log cabin background in this manner.  Additionally, I used the texture of the log cabin and the sweaters of the models to create contrast and evoke feelings of cold winter days.  I placed the product name and the price in the bottom right corner to increase the intuitiveness, however, one can purchase the item by clicking on the wording or the photos themselves.

The customer is also able to view images from the company's Instagram account as well as click on a photo to follow them.  I thought this was important to include because our company's primary target audience is youthful and hip.  This idea is echoed by the fun font choice.  Just below the Instagram images there is a form that can be filled out if the viewer has question, and links to Facebook and Twitter.  Virtually everything the customer could want or need from the website is located right on the front page.  The menu is almost obsolete, though I did include additional information and images on the other pages.

Our color concept was inspired by the changing colors of a winter sky.  I used the color palette we came up with to effectively improve our continuity.  I continued the ombre effect from our logo throughout the website by keeping the lighter colors up top and then moving into the darker palette as you scroll down.  I think this gives the psychological effect of reminding one of cold night air as the sun disappears, which, in turn, should make the viewer want to seek warmth.

Business objectives accomplished by the site:
1) Explain the uses and functions of the product.
2) Give customers the opportunity to purchase the product.
3) Keep customers engaged and in touch with the business.

Design elements:

Law of similarity, proximity (keeping sections clear.)
Figure ground relationships
Color, contrast, line, texture
Used color and texture in psychological context, cold, warmth
Heart logo and photo play into the social context, love, relationships


No comments:

Post a Comment