Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Visceral Response


Imogen Cunningham, Self Portrait, Mendocino Ca, 1971

This image is breath taking to me for many reasons.  When I first look at it I am drawn to the forms of the shadows on the wall.  I see their car and I get filled with excitement.  Where are they going?  Where did they come from?  I am reminded of all my favorite road trips, of the highway disappearing behind me and stretching out in front of me.  Because we can only see their shapes and not their faces it gives a wonderful aspect of mystery to the photo.  I wonder who they are and what their relationship is.  Next, my eye moves to the structure.  We discussed in class that horizontal lines feel peaceful and I think this is true of the lines the wood makes across the house.  The bits of white space above the house also add to this feeling of calm and serenity.  The texture of the boards convey age and weather.  You get the feeling that this structure has seen a lot and you wonder about its history.  Lastly, the empty and intensely dark space in the window makes me envision people walking up to the window and waving down to the woman taking the photo.  Of course, no one appears there and it leaves me with a bit of an empty feeling.  I envision that perhaps this empty structure meant something to the person taking the photo.  Was it an old family residence?  Was it at one time filled with loved ones?  It reminds me so much of the feelings I've gotten when driving through states like Iowa and Nebraska and seeing empty barns, empty towns.  Like those experiences this photo fills me with an enjoyable melancholy.  



No comments:

Post a Comment